Frances McDormand & Cynthia Nixon read Tales Of The City!
"Tours of the Tales" Walking Tour
Aimee Mann - Charmer
My Tales of the City
Armistead Maupin Store
Wednesday, May 16, 2012
Armistead Maupin: Pen Pals lecture series
Salman Rushdie, who spent nine years in hiding after the Ayatollah Khomeini issued a fatwa against him for publication of "The Satanic Verses," will headline the next season of the Pen Pals lecture series. Other guests include mystery writer Dennis Lehane, New Yorker cartoonist Roz Chast, Minnesota native Alice Kaplan, who has written a number of books about France, and "Tales of the City" author Armistead Maupin.
All lectures will take place at the Hopkins Center for the Arts, 1111 Main St., Hopkins. Cost for the series -- a fundraiser for the Friends of Hennepin County Library -- is $160. Cost for individual tickets is $40. Subscription tickets go on sale Monday by phone (612-543-8112) and online at www.supporthclib.org. Individual tickets will go on sale June 25. Here's the lineup:
• Salman Rushdie, 7:30 p.m. Oct. 18 and 11 a.m. Oct. 19. Rushdie is the author of 11 novels, three works of nonfiction, a collection of stories and an upcoming memoir, "Joseph Anton: A Memoir by Salman Rushdie," which will be published in September. The cost of his Pen Pals appearance includes a copy of the book.
• Alice Kaplan, 7:30 p.m. Nov. 29 and 11 a.m. Nov. 30. She was born in Minnesota and is a professor of French at Yale University. She is the author, most recently, of the biography "Dreaming in French: The Paris Years of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy, Susan Sontag, and Angela Davis."
• Roz Chast, 7:30 p.m. March 14, 2013, and 11 a.m. March 15, 2013. She is a staff cartoonist at the New Yorker magazine, where she has published more than 1,000 cartoons.
• Dennis Lehane, 7:30 p.m. April 11, 2013, and 11 a.m. April 12, 2013. He is the author of "Shutter Island," "Gone, Baby, Gone" and "Mystic River," all of which were New York Times bestsellers and were made into movies.
• Armistead Maupin, 7:30 p.m. May 16, 2013, and 11 a.m. May 17, 2013. Maupin's "Tales of the City" began as a column in the San Francisco Chronicle and grew into a series of bestselling novels, a TV miniseries and a musical.
JLO + ENRIQUE: Jennifer Lopez, the actress-fashion designer who has used "American Idol" to reignite her music career, will perform Aug. 1 at Target Center with Enrique Iglesias, the voice of such smashes as "I Like It" and "Tonight (I'm Lovin' You). This will be JLo's first prominent performance in the Twin Cities. Opening will be the Wisin Y Yandel, the hit-making reggaeton duo from Puerto Rico. Tickets, priced from $29.50 to $129.50, will go on sale at noon May 18 at Ticketmaster outlets and Target Center box office.